The WIM 100 mineral sands project or Wimmera Project is a proposed zircon and rare earth quarry located south-west of Horsham in Victoria. A requirement of project approval is the preparation of an Environment Effects Statement (EES).
Our natural heritage team has been completing the extensive ecological and aquatic investigations, assessments and relevant technical reports for inclusion in the EES. These include:
- Targeted surveys to assess threatened ecological communities listed under the Commonwealth Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act 1999 (EPBC Act) and the Victorian Flora and Fauna Guarantee Act 1988 (FFG Act)
- Presence and location of EPBC Act, FFG Act, and the Department of Environment Land Water and Planning Victorian Advisory Lists listed threatened flora and fauna species
- Aquatic biodiversity, presence and condition of any fish and invertebrate populations as required under the Victorian Environment Effects Act 1978.
- Habitat hectare assessment of native vegetation and scattered trees
- Likelihood, presence and extent of Groundwater Dependent Ecosystems that could potentially be impacted.
This project is currently in progress.
For further information about this project, ecological survey and assessments, or aquatic ecology, please contact our natural heritage team on 1300 839 325.